Motutapu Restoration Trust
The Body Shop are proud to be supporting the largest community-led conservation project on a pest free island in New Zealand during August and September. Motutapu – the sacred island – is tucked in behind Rangitoto in Auckland’s Hauraki Gulf. This large, pest-free island is now home to takahe, Coromandel Brown Kiwi, shore plovers, tieke (saddle backs) and pateke – to name some of the species that have been reintroduced to this island.
This is thanks to the thousands of tireless volunteers who have planted almost 500,000 trees, or 100ha of forest, grown seedlings in the nursery from eco-sourced seed, and taken on the Motutapu weed challenge. The project has been going for over 20 years, and there is still much to do. The goal is to plant 500 ha in total, as well as protect the interesting history of this site of earliest New Zealand settlement, and to help visitors experience the magic that is Motutapu through information and opportunities to explore
You can help too!
• By ‘donating a tree' - you will be helping grow a forest of food trees for the island's rare and endangered species.
• Volunteer for planting days, or nursery - they are always needing more people to help. Please register at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Become a “Friend of Motutapu” - for $35/year you will receive regular updates of their progress in restoring this island, and know your support is helping to get them there.
• Show your support - buy a Motutapu T shirt and wear it with pride. Your purchase directly supports their work.
• Race to save an island - do The DUAL – a multi-sport event which raises funds for Motutapu. Ranging from 6km to a full marathon, including 2 mountain bike events, this is the only chance to ride each year! Register at www.thedual.co.nz
You can support Motutapu, and help to breathe life into an ancient landform, in-store at your local branch of The Body Shop or online here: www.motutapu.org.nz