The Neonatal Trust
The Neonatal Trust works to reduce stress of, and provide support to, families going through a neonatal journey (those who have had a sick or premature baby). Their mission is to ‘make a difficult start to life that little bit easier’.
Each year approximately 5,000 premature and sick babies are born in New Zealand. Their arrival can bring considerable stress through health complications and financial strain. They help reduce stress and anxiety for families going through a neonatal journey by:
• Providing information to help them get through their time in the neonatal unit and best understand the care their baby is receiving and the role they can play
• Organising support events such as morning teas, lunches, developmental playgroups and coffee groups. These provide an opportunity for Mums and Dads to receive updates and information and develop support networks with other parents
They help support the units with equipment that directly enhances the environment for the parents or supports the care of babies in the units. eg:
• Maternity chairs for ‘Kangaroo cuddles’ and specialist breastfeeding chairs
• Re-decorating and furnishing parent ‘rooming-in’ rooms and shared spaces to help make a parent's journey that little bit brighter
• Privacy screens to help when families need privacy, mum is breastfeeding or kangaroo cuddles are in action
The Neonatal Trust also supports neonatal-related medical research. For example, the world leading research currently being undertaken in New Zealand. All studies we support are robust programmes and have appropriate ethical sign off.
From 13 March – 23 April 2017, visit your local branch of The Body Shop and donate to The Neonatal Trust.
To see examples of the support your donation enables, see this gallery .
For more information visit www.neonataltrust.org.nz
|Donate to The Neonatal Trust ▶|